top of page

Lifesaving Transportation: Our 2022-2023 Cause

Isabel Lappin, Children's Miracle Network Manager in the Office of Philanthropy at Prisma Health Children's Hospital-Upstate, on the left, and Rachel Balck, Ed.D., Patient Family Care Coordinator and March of Dimes NICU Family Support at Prisma Health Children's Hospital-Upstate, on the right, outside of the Bryan Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Greenville, South Carolina.

Hey, what's up, hello!

I'm Isabel Lappin, the Children's Miracle Network (CMN) Manager at Prisma Health Children's Hospital in the Upstate. I'm also known as the hospital advisor to Clemson Miracle Dance Marathon. As the CMN Manager, I am essentially the community liaison between our CMN partners (like Clemson Miracle) and the hospital. I educate our CMN partners on what the Children's Hospital's greatest current needs are, am a resource to our partners in terms of fundraising and connecting them to the hospital, and much more.

As the CMN Manager, this is my third year working with Clemson Miracle, and it has been one of the greatest joys of my career. I initially pursued the job at the Children's Hospital to serve my community and make a difference, but little did I know I'd be supporting this generation of young adults to fight for the next.

Clemson Miracle is unified nationally by Miracle Network Dance Marathon, a program of CMN. We are in good company with 400+ other Dance Marathon programs across the nation supporting their local CMN Hospital. Every single dollar raised stays in the community it was raised in. Every dollar Clemson Miracle raises goes directly toward the Prisma Health Children's Hospital and supports kids and families in our backyard!

Since 2009, Clemson Miracle has raised awareness and support for the Prisma Health Children's Hospital raising a total of $1,108,088.73! Clemson Miracle's efforts support the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) this year. The NICU at Prisma Health Children's Hospital– Upstate is a Level III unit. It offers the region's largest, most advanced level of specialty care for premature or critically ill infants serving the Upstate and nearby areas not equipped to care for critical cases. Together, we care for more than 900 babies a year! Read here to learn more about how Clemson Miracle will support the NICU!

At Prisma Health Children's Hospital, we know that children aren't small adults, and one size doesn't fit all. The anatomy of a child – particularly that of a newborn baby – differs dramatically from that of an adult, requiring not only specialized equipment but also specialized training and, most crucially, extensive expertise in the intensive care treatment of preterm and newborn babies. Whether a baby is minutes or hours away, Clemson Miracle's support will offer babies in the Upstate the best level of care specifically designed for their complex needs.

NICU Facts

  • The first 28 days of life are referred to as neonatal, so not all NICU babies are premature babies, meaning some of our NICU patients are born with complex medical conditions

  • Babies born before 37 weeks are considered premature

  • Approximately 75% of infants admitted to the NICU have a prematurity diagnosis, while the remaining 25% are full-term infants with complex medical conditions, including but not limited to cardiac problems, genetic syndromes, respiratory illness, infection, neurological concerns, and more. While neonatal transport is critical to very small babies, it is just as essential to have accessibility for critically ill full-term infants

  • 1 in 4 babies in SC is born at a Prisma Health hospital

  • All Prisma Health facilities are a Baby-Friendly USA-designated hospital

Changing kids' health to change the future goes beyond treating a diagnosis or symptoms. Changing kids' health to change the future means protecting our future leaders, generation, and potential. It keeps childhood alive and well by protecting pillow fights, first kisses, thumb wrestling matches, and all the wonders of being a kid that we often take for granted.

You impact all those families' lives no matter your participation level within our movement. You are a change-maker for kids' health.

Thank you for your unwavering support. We are proud of all you have accomplished and will continue to accomplish for our patients and families.

On behalf of the patients and families served,

82 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page